Monday, February 21, 2011

Yo' Mama

Right now I am writing in a coffee shop in my hometown.  A spunky little girl sits at the table next to mine.  She looks about five or six, sports a shirt that says Totally Cool, and is outclassing her two older brothers by telling yo’ mama jokes.  Yo' mama's so fat she sat on a rainbow and skittles popped out.

Her mother apparently is not taking the jokes personally.  Unphased, she studies her personal planner at another table.  I imagine she is penciling in an activity for tonight: Teach Abigail the finer points of etiquette, i.e. not to tell yo’ mama jokes in public.  Or perhaps: Teach Abigail more yo’ mama jokes, ones people haven’t heard before.  I guess it depends on what she takes more pride in. 

Wikipedia says yo’ mama insults are especially likely to incite violence.  Should I be worried?  I thought they were a thing of the nineties and they went out of style like Vanilla Ice and bowl cut hairstyles.  I guess I was mistaken.  The art of maternal insult lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment